Monday, October 10, 2011

Still tethered to a desk...

One of the greatest advantages an iPad has is its portability. It can easily be transported from classroom, to office, to meeting, but in the classroom it is an immobile device staying on my desk. To project from the iPad, it must be wired to the projector forcing me to remain infront of the class lecturing from my desk. This makes using the iPad in class no better than my computer because it and I are attached to the desk in the front of the classroom. It would be wonderful to have the capability to walk around the room and project an image onto the board. Walking around the room would force the students to engage with the material more rather than looking to me for the answer. If I could wirelessly project an image I would be able to pass my iPad to the more timid students allowing them to answer questions and display their work without the pressure of standing in front of the class. I believe the freedom to move around the classroom while projecting or talking about several images will completely change the mathematics classroom. This could potentially turn a mathematics classroom into a discussion course rather than primarily a lecture course. 

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, there are ways to untether your iPad, but at the moment they involve apps that require you to connect your laptop to the projector, and have your untethered iPad talk to the laptop. Not a slick solution, but certainly doable.

    ReplyDelete